> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Designer Showcase: Barb Gaddy

designer showcase copy


SewCalGal is delighted to share insights today with you about Barb Gaddy, a very creative quilter.  Her designs are are perfect to decorate your home, as well as to make for a gift.    

Her applique' designs are written for machine applique', but you could easily adapt for traditional applique if that is your preference.  She also has many beautiful pieced quilt designs, as well as designs that are AccuQuilt GO! compatible.

While you may know Barb by way of her blog (Bejeweled Quilts), to help get to know her better SewCalGal asked her a few questions to share insights with you today:



How long have you been sewing/quilting/designing?


When I was in high school I made a majority of my clothes and all my clothes for college.  My mother and sisters would hand quilt but I never took it up.  It wasn't until I went to a friend's home and saw all her lovely quilts that I became interested.  At this time, I received a quilt top from my mother that my grandmother had made for me.  I started practicing my hand stitching so I could quilt the top.   
Then one day I decided to make a quilt for my bed, quilts were so expensive and we were right out of college with five babies, so I gathered all my scraps from clothes, drew up my own design and went to work.
I made a few baby quilts but it wasn't until my youngest son turned 12 that I felt lost, he didn't need me anymore.  I had to redefine myself and so I dived into quilting. 

I'm self taught, with help from my family.  It has been fun to be able to share this interest with my mother and sisters.  There are actually five of us that quilt (my mother, three sisters and myself).  My mother hand quilts, Margaret has a longarm, Jeanette owns a store (Inchworm Fabrics) and Beverly has begun to quilt in the last ten years.  


 What else would you like others to know about you?
I don't consider myself a professional, I am just a person that likes to create, the joy of watching something take shape and completing the idea.  My greatest satisfaction in life is making something from nothing and maybe have someone enjoy making it too.
How do your designs come to life (e.g. do you sketch, do you use EQ7 to design, etc)?
Some of you will shake your head when I tell you this but I get out construction paper or poor fabrics and just start arranging them how I think they will look.  I might have a crude draft, I am not very good at drawing but I can draw simple things. 
What are your favorite colors?
My favorite colors are BRIGHT
Do you have a favorite tool  or product to recommend?
I use Steam A Seam like toilet paper and when I run out it is drastic!

Designer Gallery:



Barb's designs can be found at InchWorm Fabrics, Bejeweled Quilts on ETSY (where you'll find more patterns, kits, fabrics, and quilted items for sale), as well as more recently on Craftsy.  Soon, her AccuQuilt GO! compatible designs should also be available at AccuQuilt.com.  Barb is a very creative designer who has only brought a small number of her designs to market so far, but SewCalGal hopes to see many more in the future.  They are all cute and make for wonderful items to decorate your home, as well as give as a gift.

Here are some of Barb's designs that are available on Craftsy.  These designs range in size from mug rugs to full size quilts.  And, they are are all reasonably priced from $1.99 to $8.00 per design.


full_1730_48432_TurtleTranquility_1

 Turtle Tranquility quilt 42" x 52"


full_130_45485_RoundChristmasTreeTopper_1

Round Christmas Tree Topper

full_278_45516_CourtJester_1
Court Jester quilt 32 1/2" x 32 1/2"
{perfect for a baby quilt}



    full_495_49219_TulipsandTumblers_2
    Tulips and Tumblers Quilt
    81" x 61 1/2"
    full_1913_45611_Sunshinetopper_3











     Sunshine Topper

    full_5349_55283_CantseetheForestforthetrees_1Can't See the Forest for the Trees runner

    full_838_47006_WonkyChristmasTrees_1
    Wonky Christmas Trees




    full_3876_45513_AprilShowers_2
    April Showers Table Topper

    full_6757_57771_KITCHENCORNER_2
    Kitchen Corner




      full_755_52732_REINDEERGAMES_1
      Reindeer Games


      full_1812_48068_EnchantedChristmasTreeRunner_2
      Enchanted Christmas Tree Runner


      full_9559_51141_AllYouNeedIsLove_2
      All You Need is Love

          full_1883_45515_BirdSplash_1
          Bird Splash
          (bundle of two designs for a wallhanging and a round table topper)
          full_7184_45520_RoundTumblerTopper_3








          Round Tumbler Topper

          full_6841_45514_IrishLuckroundtopper_1
          Irish Luck (round) table topper


          spoken hearts
          Spoken Hearts table topper



          full_2862_45487_RoundValentinesTopper_2
          Round Valentines Topper

          full_4015_45518_ToiletTankandLidtopper_1
          Toilet Tank and Lid topper pattern

          full_1027_45517_DancingFlowers_1 Dancing Flowers table topper


          Gobble Gobble Table Topper



          ***new design coming soon***



          FREEBIE:

          Barb also has a fun design that is currently available for free on Craftsy.

          full_7335_47007_AppleAppliqueHotPadandKitchenTowel_1

          This yummy project is absolutely perfect to decorate your home, or to make for a gift.   If you do not yet have a free account on Craftsy, simply create your account and you can go thru the steps on Craftsy to purchase this pattern (for free) and download a PDF pattern: Apple Applique' Hot Pad and Kitchen Towel pattern

          SewCalGal thinks this design would make for an absolutely wonderful gift for many situations, including:


          • special thank you to a teacher
          • newlyweds or new homeowners
          • hostess gifts, perfect for summer BBQ
          • Thinking of you gifts!

          SewCalGal really loves Barb's designs and hope you do too!

          Print Friendly and PDF

          14 comments:

          Gene Black said...

          Barb is amazing. She is always making something new. I have enjoyed seeing her progress during the time I have followed her blog.

          Jocelyn said...

          Barb IS so creative. I get a lot of ideas just following her blog.

          Betsy said...

          I love Barb,. I am so glad you showcased her today. I made her octopus quilt and I get many compliments on it.

          Rhonda said...

          Way to go Barb! She is one talented lady with excellent ideas.

          IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...


          Barb is so very talented! I enjoyed reading more about Barb. She made her own clothes....very impressive indeed.

          Barb sure is a lovely woman and I hope more people hop over to follow her blog, she is one busy lady.

          Smiles,
          Kelly

          Sheila said...

          I have been following Barb for a while and love her work , she is indeed a very talented .

          Joanna said...

          Barb's designs are whimsical and sweet. They are happy designs. Her blog is a good read, too.

          Lesley said...

          Wonderful designs by Barb. Thanks for featuring her here...I follow her blog and she always has new things to share!

          SewCalGal said...

          Here is a link to a post on Fiesta's blog showing the quilt she made using Barb's octopus design: http://quiltingfiesta.blogspot.ca/2012/09/summer-is-over-when.html

          KaHolly said...

          How nice to get to know Barb a little better. What a good idea to showcase her talents and skills today. Thanks!!

          Thearica said...

          I love Barb's blog and her work. I have a link to her Etsy store on my sidebar. :)

          MyFarmLifeDiary said...

          We've followed Barb for quite some time now - she is incredibly talented and has such a big heart.

          Cindy said...

          Barb is absolutely a JEWEL so her blog is appropriately named. She's been an inspiration to me for a very long time. Barb is a talent and has become an Internet friend. I only hope I have the pleasure of meeting her one day.

          Hugs to you Dear Barb...you deserve them.

          tich said...

          Barb is such a nice, friendly person. Her blog is great and her output is amazing!